Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Friday, May 18, 2007

I hear the sound...

Well it seems a lot can change in 24 hours...no, stop, this is not permission for you to skip to the end of the post to figure it out.

I was getting ready for our weekly lab meeting and I remember walking to the room thinking that for the first time in my life I had no back-up plan. Normally, I would have at least two back-up jokers to pull out when the going gets rough but this time there were no options. Of course as I head to the meeting room I made sure my phone was in my pocket in the "silent" vibrate mode. (Post May 15th, your phone quickly becomes your best friend).

And unfortunately instead of paying attention to the meeting's speaker as I sat in the chilly conference room, I kept playing out likely outcomes of this application process in my mind and counting down the minutes till the meeting was over so I could rush to the computer, log on to SDN and figure out who else had been pulled off a waitlist.

The "silent" vibrate on my phone goes off and I get a few polite stares. Normally I would just silence it without looking at the number, but nothing has been normal since July 25th. I pull out the phone and try to figure out the weird area code. Hmmm doesn't look familiar...so I step out of the room to pick it up.

Apparently this was the second before the second my life will be changed for good. Just like that the dean I had been writing to over the last few weeks was on the other side. For once he was looking for me and not the other way around. It felt weird. So this is what it feels like to actually get this call...no loan cosigner needed...no bottle of water from the fountain of youth required...just show up cus we have a sit for you in our incoming class. I go back into the meeting room and as I get in I consider yelling to everyone that I just got into one of my top choice institutions, probably not very professional so I attempt to sit calmly in my chair. Needless to say the rest of the meeting was just a big blur. But one thing's for sure.

Fight-or-Flight response is hereby suspended. Whatever else I get now is simply icing on the cake. And I know the icing is coming because I hear the sound of an abundance of rain.

Ahem...its funny how one little phone call can do wonders for the faith right? Someone remind me of this when next I complain. Thank you for all your support and kind words. Keep them coming though anything can still happen between now and June-July. I also pray that all your heart desires will be realized at the right time and not a moment later.

<< Back to Latest Post

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am getting chills. Hallellujah! I was keeping you up in prayer this morning and yesterday. And asked the Lord to truly just show up and show out. He may not come when you want him, but he's always right on time. Praise His Holy and Righteous Name. Okay, you cannot start my favorite song and not finish it. So here it goes. Everyone's aunt. And of couse A what is the school. Should we continue to hold our breath until July? I THINK NOT!

I hear the sound of a mighty rushing wind
It’s closer now that it’s ever been
I can almost hear the trumpet Gabriel sounds the call
At the midnight cry we’ll be going home

CHORUS
When Jesus steps out on a cloud to get His children
The dead in Christ will rise to meet Him in the air
Those that remain will be quickly changed
At the midnight cry when Jesus comes again

I look around me I see prophecies being fulfilled,
yes I do
Signs of the times are appearing everywhere
I can almost see the Father saying, “Son, go get your children”
And at the midnight cry the bride of Christ will rise

May 18, 2007 8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks.....Thanks........thanks........and CONGRATULATIONS! DARMOUTH! YES! PRAISE HIS HIGH AND HOLY NAME......Okay, u already know who it TIS is, so no need to share. They'll think I'm crazy for sure.

May 18, 2007 9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations I've been stalking you blog hoping you get some good news. I'm so happy for you.
-Chioma

May 18, 2007 10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So ummm, what was the meeting about? LOL Just kiddin'! I'm so happy for you, God has truly blessed you! I knew you jumped up and screamed in joy at some point, so please write a blog about that ohkay? Someone's niece.

May 18, 2007 11:59 AM  
Blogger Gramps said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!I'm so happy for you.
As others have said, God is never late.

As you start going through the rigours of medical school, when things become too tough and u're feeling down, just remember this period and how God came through for you and use that to reassure yourself that if he came through for you now, he will always do so. Whatever he has begun, he is faithful and just to complete to the very end.

May 18, 2007 1:06 PM  
Blogger arturo said...

yay! I'm getting chills!! Congratulations!!!! I always knew everything was going to work out perfectly for you.

May 18, 2007 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://myweb.wvnet.edu/~scg06784/TheMidnightCry.html

May 18, 2007 2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! Wow! LOOOOOOOOOL! The first thing I thought of on May 15th was Abi... I dunno if u have a sitemeter, but i hope u cant tell how many times i've been coming here for some good news. Congratulations! Doesn't that phone call/ email/ letter just change your entire outlook on life? Angels' wings??? So happy for you. Thank God.

May 20, 2007 4:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!!, Yahoo!!! (sorry, taken by some internet company), I mean, Yeehaa!!!

I am so happy for you. And Dartmouth, no less!!!

What was it you said about the Israelites exactly . . . ? It doesnt't matter, because they forgive all who excel academically! Really, they do.

I don't know why I never said this before, but you are a talented, as in, gifted, writer.

Drinks on me!

May 20, 2007 8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Abbey, I started reading this blog two weeks ago, a few days b4 My MCATS and I must confess it's been great. I am an F-1 student as well, so u can't understand how excited I am for u.
It just means that God is sure at work and nothing is impossible with him. Is there an email address I can reach u on? I have a couple more questions.
Thanks gal.
Tolu.

May 21, 2007 3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you. May God that has guided you so far guide you through medical school.

B

May 21, 2007 8:07 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

Thank you all for your comments...I'm really excited too and calmer than I've been in months. I also finally got the hardcopy of the acceptance in the mail so it felt great to actually get a big envelope in the mail for a change(as opposed to the thin harbingers of bad news I got over the last few months).

@aunt: I didn't even know it was a song, it was just the first quote that came to mind after the phone call. And you're not crazy just very spirited :)

@niece: Unfortunately I'm not a screamer...I pretty much just can't sit in one place for a minute after I hear such good news so you can imagine the torture I went through sitting through the rest of the meeting(which was something to do with biochemistry in general...if memory serves me right lol)

@chioma: thanks for coming out of the woodworks and for the support!

@gramps: thanks for all your thoughtful words too and your consistent visits. I really hope I don't forget this period in my life too soon when things get crazy in school. I can only hope.

@patrice: I'm sure yahoo doesn't mind and abt the Israelites, no I didn't say anything bad abt them...just used to pump my chest back then that I would never do such a thing! Suuurreeee. Thanks for the support though

@oge: the call does change everything in an undescribable way. The struggle just seems to come to an abrupt end and you're like "that's it? What do I do now?"

btw, Tolu my email is abbeykay@gmail.com (it's on my sidebar, just above the polls that are screaming for updates)...hope u killed those exams

@bola,arturo: thanks a lot for the love!!!

May 22, 2007 1:39 AM  
Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

God is always faithful. His promises always come thru at the appointed time, his time. COOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSS!!! I am truly happy for u. This is just the beginning of good things in ur life in Jesus' name -Amen.

May 23, 2007 6:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! I've actually been coming here to check up on your status weekly and just found this. Congrats...you're on you way to New England! It's cold here :)

May 24, 2007 10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your post, I remember 3 yrs years ago when I got the call from the associate dean of the med school of my choice. I was right smack in the middle of the food court at a crowded mall grubbing down a coronary-blocking greasy burger, lol. I wanted to scream and punch a wall or something but then I knew I'd be heading to a psych ward with that kind of behavior. Relish the joy of securing a spot, the journey through exciting but humbling experience awaits you.

Okunrin meta

May 25, 2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations Girl!! You deserve it.

May 25, 2007 3:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
OUR GOD IS GOOD
ALL THE TIME...
so happy for u
welcome to medical school...
hope u have a jolly ride...
God will be ur best friend cos u cant make it without him ...believe me ...

May 26, 2007 7:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i got my admission letter to med sch via email cos it was a week before school started...
i remember that day...
i went to check my email at houston community college northline mall... did not have internet at home...
when i saw the email... i started crying cos i had lost hope that i will get into med school that year..it was my 3rd time of applying to medical school...
1998, 1999, 2000...
the rest is history...
like anony said... medical school is a humbling experience... i can testify to that...

May 26, 2007 7:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oooh.. when i got home that day ...the admission letter was also in my mailbox at home..
they had sent me a mail by post and email...
but i read my email first...
GOD IS GREAT.....

i need to blog about this ..lol
sorry for the long comment

May 26, 2007 7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stumbled on your blog from bella naija's website. So funny. I was in your exact shoes about 7 years ago. I got the call from Dartmouth also and graduated from there three years ago. My roommate was also Nigerian and we got each other through some tough cold winters there. I actually loved it there otherwise. i will e-mail you my address in case you have questions. Congrats.

May 28, 2007 1:03 AM  
Blogger Biodun said...

Congratulations girl!!! I am so happy for you!!

May 31, 2007 5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations and Jubilations, welcome my sister at least our mothers have something in common now " my daughter is doing medicine now, really so is mine". Am happy for you......well my admission was a testimony. I did not have an interview and I had never been to the city before, I was just called to come and take the offer after my first degree. I am so glad i finish in 2 weeks. At least bye bye to skint days soon.

June 06, 2007 8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey been checking up on you for a while now; congrats. Really happy for you.

June 10, 2007 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where have i been? congratulations!!!

June 27, 2007 12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post