Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Sunday, April 22, 2007

I'm sorry for deserting you all for this long. There just hasn't been any ground breaking news. I'm officially in the middle of the toughest part of this cycle-Staring at the clock and willing it to be May 15th already. But as if TIME itself knows I hold my breath, it drags its feet, counting every second twice before proceeding to the next, and then counting that four times.

Having so much time on one's hand is also bad in many other ways. The nerves have kicked in. Summer is approaching and in a few months I will be starting the path to my future career. It's hard for me because not only do I wonder if I'm ready for this journey, I also have to deal with committing myself finally to one career path-something I have thus far subtley avoided. In college I had two majors just in case medicine didn't work out, even as I get ready for the real thing, I have already started mapping out degrees to add on just in case I don't enjoy medicine as much as I think I will. But that has to stop! The running is over and my hand is just about an inch away from the plow and once it lands on there...there is no looking back, cus going back to one's vomit is just straight up gross.

But this brings up other issues. What if I just don't have the energy to continue? I was jumping ahead a bit and looking at some of the class schedules for some schools. I remember seeing a two-and-a-half hour free block of time in between classes in one of them. Seeing as classes that day would have started at 8:30am the first thing I thought was "Yes, nap time!" Ummmmm NO! This will no longer be undergrad where you delay studying till a week before the test and still ace it, this is med school in which everything I learnt in one year of anatomy would probably be taught in a month. YIKES!

24 days till May 15th - the day the floodgates openeth and those that wait upon the lists might eventually stand a chance

RIP Virginia Tech Victims

<< Back to Latest Post

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why after goin thru all the wahala do you start thinking of running(lol) Anywayz, it happens, believe me, I know!! B4 May 15th, if you have tyme, read your blog from A-....(cos we want it to continue) and reassure yourself that you'll be okay!! All the best!!

April 22, 2007 11:58 PM  
Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

It is well, missy. Don't let fear creep into u, 'cos the Lord will make his strength perfect in ur weakness. Just trust in him, i have no doubt that u can do it. Press on and never look back. It is well. I've never seen God's children forsaken. One thing i learned yesterday was that the devil doesn't know the future, but he can tell when a good thing's going to happen and so he'll try to frustrate one's plans, by sowing seeds of doubt and all. Take care and God bless u.

April 23, 2007 6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey gurl, just take it one day at a time and remember if He brought you to it, He'll bring you through it. Cliche I know but true nonetheless.

April 30, 2007 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good luck angel.. you can do it... its something you've worked so hard for... God will be with you every step of the way... happy spring..

May 01, 2007 6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, time to come out of hiding. At least just write a nice Blog about what you're doing, where you are and how you're feeling. I mean you're an awesome writer, so anything would do well. In other words, I miss you.

May 16, 2007 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post