Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Reflecting...

So now are y'all getting an idea of why I said this journey hasn't been easy? It was really hard for me to absorb the fact that I pretty much failed the exam my first trial. I was even more pissed of at the biology section, I got a 9/15. I felt betrayed. Me and Biology were supposed to be tight, and it up and announced to the world that our friendship wasn't real. We'll settle that later. I got an "R" in the writing section which is only two letters away from the highest score (T) but who was going to admit a doctor who knew how to describe an operation on paper but supposedly didn't know where the patient's heart was located?

I was comforted by knowing that I didn't study hard for it. The most annoying thing about the whole issue was when I talked to other premeds about their results....I pretty much told them my score straight up, no mincing words. I didn't do well, I didn't do well, no point in lying. And you won't believe these "kids" won't tell me what they got, they'll be like "I did Ok" or "I did better than I thought". I used to be so pissed off. It's like telling someone "I love you" and the person just nodding in response. Maybe they were feeling sorry for me and didn't want me to know they got a 35 but I didn't and still don't appreciate the sympathy.

Anyways, I've been a bit under the weather of late and been busy trying to complete some of the secondaries I got...I had another one from the school I currently work at but theirs is non-rolling so technically no hurry. I've gotten all my recommendation letters in order so I really want to get the apps done and send them out by the end of the week, you know, get them off my shoulder.

And you are right if you thought I took the exam again. The details of that will come in another post. I feel the urge to say some lovey-dovey stuff to you guys at the end of every post but I'm trying not to sound cheesy. Thanks for reading though...You know I looo' u, yes u that never puts up any comments but still reads it everyday and you that comments all the time and keeps things interesting...

<< Back to Latest Post

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww shucks, ::sniff, sniff:: you know I looo'u too....even if you don't make a post each day for the avid reader, I looo'u ::sniff::, even when u don't send abi's kitchen meals to us, I looo'u ::sniff, sniff::, someone hand me the box of tissues - i looo' this chik...booooooooooohooohooo

[how's that for lovey-dovey cheesiness :)]

August 16, 2006 9:54 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

lol...loo' u too

August 17, 2006 4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i'm one of those that reads this ever so often but doesn't post comments. Keep up the good work though. And I can't wait to see how it ends. I'm rooting and praying for you.

August 17, 2006 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read, and I enjoy your writing. I told my niece Kimmoy that you need to really make this a part of your memoirs when you're Dr. Abbey. God is a good God, and he didn't bring you this far to leave you. When ever you're tired, read the faith chapter of the Bible. I prefer the King James Version. Verse one goes like this "now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." The Bible declares that the race isn't given to the swift nor to the strong, but he that endures to the end. Endure young lady. You help me and so many others by your bravery. However, I must admit, I cannot get over the 21 applications. I smile each time I think of it. However, that's faith. Keep up the good work. And after reading this long comment, you might be thanking our Heavenly Father that I only read and enjoy. Peace and Blessings to you, I am Kimmoy's Aunt D.

August 17, 2006 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, my niece would call me a slowhead right here. Just in case you or others don't know, the Faith Chapter is Hebrew 11.

August 17, 2006 12:04 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

thanks a lot, i'll keep the faith and hopefully He sees me to the end if this is what He wants me to do. and yes...there were 21 applications lol. And I appreciate your commentary, in this case, the longer the better.

@fope...thanks for the support, comment more often

August 17, 2006 2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just keep believing, trusting and hoping. You have ur own personalized plan of God's blessings which is not affected by other students tht scored 35. you'll be good :)
keep d faith sista
bisobabe

August 17, 2006 5:00 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

I have been told by certain "parties" that I had been guilty of not telling people my own scores in tests and such in the past even though other people told me theirs. Although, I argued in my defense, my memory is not good enough to remember if this was true or not. But if it was, I guess GOD takes you through some things so you can understand how life on the other side is!

August 18, 2006 6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, I have gotten over hiding scores from people. If you wanna know what I scored, I'll give it to you straight up, scale, pass or fail. One thing I don't like is people coming over to discuss an exam or a test we just finished writing as if we were about to begin studying for it again. Believe me, I would just walk away. Oh yes I would!! Well, like I have probably said to you personally, most of the stuff written here is FINELY true but what is even TRUER(Pardon me) is the fact that it all pays off in the end whether you like it or not. My dad always says to me (Speaking from current time)"If you do not die early, you are entitled to a 100 years on this earth, suffer the first 20sumthin and enjoy the remaining 70 sumthin. It is much better than enjoying 20sumthin and then suffering 70sumthing. Much much better. I wish all you the best and please do not forget to enter a post when you finally become a doctor.

August 21, 2006 12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing, who is the person tryin to find out who I am??? And my first name starts with an "O"

August 21, 2006 12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its monday! We the avid readers who dont comment are finally screaming for MORE. Keep going tho! God is with you.

LA PITE

August 21, 2006 1:04 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

thanks for the comments Mr.Oworu,I have to agree with your dad 100% on that saying of his. And the person asking of you was the shyest girl in St.Saviours, remember? Y.S? Her blog is the "Chronicles of my life" one.

August 21, 2006 1:06 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

@ LA PITE/time keeper, I have obeyed your request.

August 21, 2006 1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! If its the right one, I guessed as much but remember there were 2 Y.S's

August 21, 2006 12:04 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

hmm really? the shy one..lol

August 21, 2006 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abbey u never tell your scores in school so stop complaining

August 23, 2006 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post