Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Monday, March 12, 2007

I apologize for my recent AWOLness.

So all things being equal the story of my third MCAT was supposed to be my last post in the whole application process. I was supposed to keep everyone wondering whether or not I took the exam again(like u were even thinking about it) and finally let it all out the day I knew where I will be attending med school for sure. You know...something in the line of "And after all the MCAT struggles...here I am going to my dream school, blah blah blah".

Ummm....YEEAAAHHH, all things are so not equal.

Here I was a week and a half ago basically living in cyberspace waiting for admission results from that school that had been playing dodgeball with my heart(and hundred other premed's) for a week or so, under a kind of pressure I never knew I could feel. It was then that the whole journey of the last 2.5 years started flashing before my eyes, and again I started reliving every single MCAT I had taken...the last one being the most traumatic and thus giving birth to my "Blast from the past". But the daydreams come and go and I'm currently enjoying a hopefully longer period of peace from them.

For the benefit of those who didn't quite understand the details of my last post, the "war" was my third MCAT. "Battle 1" - the Physics Section, "Battle 2"- the Verbal Section and 3 - the Biological Sciences section.

So yeah I walked out of the exam feeling like I completely bombed the whole thing. This would have been especially harzadous to my whole situation if I didn't at least show an upward trend in my scores. But what could I do...my little shading bubble sheet was probably awaiting it's turn in some "little shading bubble sheet reader thingy" hundreds of miles away and nothing I could do could change anything. No matter how many times I woke up in the middle of the night to work out one of the exam problems I happened to remember to verify my answer...crazy days maan, CRAIZEEE DAYS. Anyways, 8 weeks later(yes they kept us waiting for about 2 extra weeks!) the results did come out.

I did one point better than my second MCAT. One point! I scaled through it by the skin of my tooth. The Physics that I thought I monumentally screwed up ended up being thesame score as the last time I took it (miraculously)...my Bio finally came through and I got an almost perfect score in that section. So maybe that was the only good that came out of the whole thing. I never got the 30+ score I wanted or thought I needed so bad. It was a 29, darn close.

At the risk of sounding extremely cheesy...realizing I was that close but yet not quite there made me realize that the battle was not going to be mine this time. If I had probably done very well on the exam I would have gone into this process on a very high horse and would only be setting myself to be thrown off later. So hey, better now than later right? (*Kneeling and Praying* Plss GOD I have really learnt from this-don't let it happen to me again)

PS: My AWOLness was due to trying to dig myself out of a waitlist. Yeah after the dodgeball game they left me sitting on the fence....I spent all of last week conveying in writing to their dean that the first words I uttered in my life was their institution's name. Half way through, I figured I might as well send an update to whatever other schools I was still interested in. I promise you premeds out there, if you want to reduce the chances of you becoming a serial scribe...seriously...kick butt in every single blessed way! SEERREEUSSLLEEE!!!!

<< Back to Latest Post

12 Comments:

Blogger Bella Naija said...

Goood Luck!
We are still rooting for u!

March 12, 2007 3:13 PM  
Blogger chidi said...

gudluck!

March 14, 2007 6:32 AM  
Blogger Gramps said...

I'm looking forward to celebrating WHEN your admission comes through.

Ooops, so what will you write about WHEN your admission comes through....? u going to start a new blog or rename this one or what? whatever happens, keep us posted

March 15, 2007 12:39 AM  
Blogger The Angry Medic said...

Yikes. Thanks for the advice. Despite the fact that I'm already IN medical school, some daysvI feel like I have the intelligence level of a premed. (Some days I feel I have the intelligence level of a kindergarten toddler, but still.)

And no, don't start a new blog, just rename this one. Glad to see you blogging again. Keep us updated!

March 16, 2007 12:08 AM  
Blogger Anon said...

Congrats on your scores!!! I hope that things are working out for you.

March 16, 2007 10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw these two comments on Bella Naija’s comment page of “This day Concert” and I thought the whole world should know. I love Oprah and the rest of the Artists my aim is just to show Nigerians that it is time we start supporting our own people and make our own country better. Contrary to what Oprah thinks Nigerians are the smartest most intelligent people in this world.

PLEASE READ THE PIECE BELOW FROM NIGERIAN PUNCH NEWSPAPER AND PASS YOUR COMMENT:


Oprah Winfrey got it wrong

By Our Reader
Published by PUNCH NEWSPAPER: Thursday, 26 Jul 2007

Recently, America’s TV girl, Oprah Winfrey, called on America to sever diplomatic relationships with world’s topmost corrupt countries.

Worst of all the countries, Oprah surmised, is Nigeria.

According to her, “all Nigerians – regardless of their level of education – are corrupt.”

It is very pathetic that Oprah could ascribe to a larger population, the evil act of an insignificant number of persons in the world’s most populous black nation.

Oprah’s conclusion is based on the fact that a Nigerian of Igbo extraction was caught with $500,000, which was alleged to have been stolen from a foreigner through the Internet fraud popularly known as 419.

Oprah had sponsored an hour-long programme, which ran for several days on the CNN, with the sole aim of exposing the clever tricks espoused by this group of Nigerians to con their victims.

Much has been said about the greed of the victims themselves, and I need not say more about it.

However, at a time when Americans are committing heinous crimes against children and women, nobody has tagged all Americans as murderous.

So, why call all Nigerians rogues because of the sin of a few bad eggs?

Oprah regularly tells her life story: how she was sexually abused by close relations, how she ‘walked the streets’ (Americans’ euphemism for prostitution), etc., but nobody has ever deemed it fit to tag all American men as incestuous because of Oprah and others’ experiences.

She did drugs – just like the typical American teenager, but nobody has cast all American youths in the mould of drug abusers!

So, why should an individual that is supposed to know better sentence a nation to odium for the infraction of a tiny fraction of its population?

I urge Oprah and her likes to disabuse their minds about Nigerians.

Be wary of requests for money from strangers, and if you fall for a scam, blame your greed and not Nigerians.

Okoli Vitalis,

legendchyke@gmail.com


http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200707260133325
Ps: to the owners of the blog I’m sorry for invading your blog. I just felt we Nigerians need to let go of that inferiority complex of "American things being way better than Nigerians". We need to make our stuff better too if we think it is not up to standard.

July 26, 2007 3:05 PM  
Blogger Ronan Wilson said...

Amazing post. Thanks for sharing.
Buy Etizolam online

April 08, 2019 7:27 AM  
Blogger Bluepillformen said...

Nice blog. Thanks fopr sharing.
Buy Kamagra Oral Jelly Online

June 25, 2019 1:40 PM  
Blogger alexa said...

great post, please keep sharing such information
Buy Abortion Pill Online

June 25, 2019 2:51 PM  
Blogger genericsmartdrugs said...

GREAT POST, Thanks a lot for sharing nice information.
Online Cheap Armodafinil

July 17, 2019 9:19 AM  
Anonymous Genuine Valtrex Online Pharmacy said...

Great post, please keep sharing such great information

buy tramadol online

October 17, 2019 4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...


AFFORDABLE BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? LOAN IS HERE FOR YOU TODAY Call/Text +1(209)643-7283 Email brianloancapital@gmail.com
XMAS IS HERE AGAIN, DO NOT BE LEFT OUT, APPLY FOR ALL KINDS OF XMAS LOAN WITH US TODAY! XMAS FREE GIFTS PACKAGE FOR INTERESTED CLIENTS

Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and don’t know which way to go or where to turn? What about finding a reputable Debt Consolidation firm that can assist you in reducing monthly installment so that you will have affordable repayment options as well as room to breathe when it comes to the end of the month and bills need to get paid? BRIAN CAPITAL LOANS is the answer. Reduce your payments to ease the strain on your monthly expenses. BY Call/Text +1(209)643-7283 Email brianloancapital@gmail.com

We are certified, reliable, financially powerful, fast and dynamic, with no credit check and offers a 100% guarantee loans and finances
brianloancapital@gmail.com

November 20, 2019 9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post