Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Pursuing My HappYness

Happy Day Before Christmas Everyone.

So Fope and Ogizzle, I finally saw the movie. It was awesome but I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had not seen the 20/20 special on it the week before. So I pretty much knew how the movie will end. I badly want to say I felt the way he did after getting my first acceptance but in all honesty I didn't. I think I really felt that way when I got my job at Ivy Que.

Maybe cus its not exactly my dream school, I didn't even know anything about the school till I started the application process. OK I know I'm sounding like a bloody ingrate but I really am just being honest...I appreciate the acceptance and I'm excited about it but it doesn't have that "umphhh" factor for me. Another reason is because I have to find a cosigner for my loan. I have one choice of cosigners so far but I honestly don't want to put anyone in a situation where they have $200,000+ hanging in their credit report on accounts of me. I have a few other people to ask in case I want to spread out the loan so it's not only on one person. But my Nigerian peeps and some of you might understand my next point.

I honestly don't want someone signing the loan on my behalf and 20 years from now when I become a doctor(So help me GOD) these same people show up in my office wanting free treatment for the rest of their lives. Pretty much if I don't jump when they tell me to jump, they're going to go around town telling everyone

"You know she wouldn't have been able to pay for school if I didn't help her cosign her loan? And look at her now, she's finally a doctor and now anytime I make any request, she acts like I have dog breath"

I've talked to GOD about this and I'm waiting on Him to sort things out...again the story doesn't end till May 15th, and even after then, if I happen to be waitlisted at any school(God Forbid), I could be pulled off the waitlist anytime between May 15th and the week before Matriculation (Augustish).

So you see, I'm not exactly a bloody ingrate, it's just one of those things an International Applicant has to deal with. Our best bet is to get into one of the private schools that have private loans for which you don't need a cosigner, the other alternative is to have at least 3 years of credit history, then you won't need a cosigner. I got my first credit card in October 2005.

With all this in mind, my homework for the holidays is to write a letter to Harvard. Yes, Harvard. The worst they can say is NO! I turned in my apps since October, no news from them about an interview yet. I'm probably not exactly their top candidate but they are a private school and I'm sure they have a ton of money to share. Oh yeah and they happen to be the number one Med School in the Nation, perhaps the world(minor detail). Like I said, the worst they can really say is NO!

This part of my life is called....

Pursuing My HappYness

Merry Christmas to you all!!!

(Yes I said Christmas not Holidays, so shoot me. Even Jewish people admit that Hannukah is not their biggest celebration of the year and who celebrates Kwanzaa again? And to the Christians that say they don't celebrate Christmas because the date was chosen by the Romans to coincide with one of the Pagan Ceremonies, my only question for you is "Would you stop celebrating your birthday if you found out you were born on thesame day as, say...Hitler?" But anyways, to every man/woman his/her own...Whichever way you look at it Jesus is the Reason for the Season)


Oh and another side note, I saw them do stitches again in the ER yesterday and I didn't almost pass out. Compared to the last time, I call that progress...lot's of PROGRESS.

<< Back to Latest Post

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel u on the loan thing. I'm actually in the same situation, torn btw looking for a cosigner or signing up for 6-8 yr of school (MD-PhD). Tough choice. Gluck tho. We should talkk sometime. Happy holidays!

P.S. will u be in NY at all?

December 24, 2006 6:07 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

Yeah I might consider the MD-PhD thing when I finally matriculate. But the problem is it takes so darn long and a PhD meen...you're never sure when you'll graduate. It's a tough choice. And you said Holidays!!baaad lol.

I will actually be in NY quite a bit over the break. I'll call sometime.

December 24, 2006 8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha.."This part of my life is called"- I like how you incorporated that line from the movie.

Congratulations on your acceptance to medical school.

God bless you. Merry Christmas and a great year ahead in Jesus' name

December 25, 2006 12:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

merry christmas.... i pray you get all ur wishes in Jesus name Amen... i know about the loan thing... God helped me ....he will help u too...
deka

December 25, 2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger Biodun said...

I so understand how getting a co-signer could be an issue. God will make a way in Jesus name. The Pursuit of Happyness is a great movie, I couldnt control the tears so also my bfriend, lol. Hope u had a great christmas?

December 26, 2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

U're so right, gal. The worst they can say is a NO, but u'll know u still tried. I so feel u on the loan thingy. As for the MD-PhD that's a tough decision to make. Anyways, God will see you through. He's already started, so never have any doubt. Things are going to fall in place.

December 26, 2006 4:10 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

thanks for the comments...hope you guys had a nice Xmas too, mine was fun.

I really am looking to GOD for the loan thing to get sorted out...we'll wait and see.

December 26, 2006 11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's been holidays to me the past few years...

December 27, 2006 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Biodun, merry christmas... check your messages on facebook :)

December 27, 2006 6:08 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

thanks...got the message will try to start working on that.

December 28, 2006 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post