Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Thursday, January 11, 2007

App Updates

  • So I hear back about my last interview in the middle of February (gitters). I liked the school a lot, the program etc. The interview was also unusual like I said in the last post. I got hit hard by a perfectly thrown curve ball too. I was asked if I would choose Ivy Que(where I currently work) over their institution. Ahem!! But can I just say that the more I meet the other premeds at interviews, the more I sooo wanna be a doc. As in there is just this bond we all have...knowing we're all currently going through the same hellish rigors, and that in a few months we might be officially signing up for some kind of lifetime camp...it's simply unexplainable. It's also almost intimidating humbling to find out how smart they all are and what different experiences led them to this point. As in just when you're beginning to think you're the shizznit, you meet the person whose achievements the word was custom made for.

    I had an interesting conversation with a premed that had just returned from a West African Country where she had volunteered at a hospital. The most interesting part was how surprised she said her friends were when she showed them pictures of high rise buildings in Africa. While I was gloating at this little victory, she quickly took me off my high-horse by mentioning that on any given day in the city, she was often approached by the townsfolk asking her to help them pay for a daughter or son's school fees. I don't blame them though, I know back then too I used to think all white people were inconceivably rich. I guess we're all guilty of some genre of stereotyping


  • In other news, remember that school that I was so in love with, the one where I was interviewed by the Nigerian doc and all? **looong sigh* So they waitlisted me *another looong sigh*. I probably won't find out anything more till the summer so another waiting spree begins. I also heard back from another school I had interviewed at, all they said, was they will be deciding on my file in March...Trying to look on the bright side: At least I haven't been rejected yet


  • I'm kinda officially done with the interviews I have. I'm skipping the last one I received because I won't pick them over my acceptance, no point wasting time and good money. But I'm not exactly relegating my suit to the back of the closet just yet cus I'm hoping I get a few more interviews pretty soon. Hoping and praying.


  • In line with that, I called the Harvard Admissions Office some time ago and the guy I spoke to told me to not even bother with my letter cus the deadline for receiving supplemental materials was last November. Too bad, I already spent two weeks trying to charismatically beg for an interview on paper (if there is any such thing) so I might as well send it, whatever happens after that? Oh Well! Also spoke to Ivy Que about getting an interview too, it's been 3 months since they recieved my application and the worry was about to set in...actually it was already in. So I went to the admissions office last week and poured my heart out to one of the admission directors. She listened patiently and compassionately but at the end, all she said was...yup! write another letter. GREAT.


  • In other news, my GMAT books finally arrived from Amazon. What GMAT books huh? So I've been toying with the idea of getting an MD/MBA degree. Most schools plan it such that you take a year off med school after your third year, move to their business school, do your MBA and come back to finish last year of med school. So all in all, it takes about 5 years to get both degrees. The GMAT is valid for 5 years so I figured I might as well take it this summer and whether or not I eventually use it, at least it will be an option. Even more importantly, I won't have to add the load of studying for it during med school. I've been going back and forth with this decision for the last year or so but I figured buying the books and putting my plans up here will kinda force me to do it, hopefully. And can I just inform you that from what I've seen so far the junk is harder than I thought!! To complicate matters, as soon as I started doing the diagnostic test, the psychological effects of my multiple MCATs(which I never knew I had) kicked in. My subconscious kept asking me "How are you sure you're not going to take this exam multiple times again?" It just wouldn't shut up! I'm currently working on silencing that thought


  • Obviously, a sister needs a posthumous date with Sigmund Freud!

    << Back to Latest Post

    13 Comments:

    Blogger NaijaBloke said...

    Pele Abbey i feel u on ur interviews jere.Although mine is not school interviews but the wahala is too much men ..like am going for an interview 2moro and can u imagine have an interview with 8 different people,2 each at a time ...like am applying for the job of CEO ..

    U keep ur head up dear and have a lovely weekend

    January 11, 2007 2:06 PM  
    Blogger ABBEY said...

    Good brotha...all the best oh. 8 diff interviews, pele. the interview style reminds me of a certain company. Anyways, good luck in everything

    January 12, 2007 9:53 PM  
    Blogger Confused Naija Girl said...

    ggod luck with your interviews. i almost no what you are goin through my friend is applying to med school

    January 12, 2007 11:45 PM  
    Blogger Gramps said...

    wrt to Harvard, I would advise to still send in your application materials if you've got everything set. You never know what can happen. I know someone who got admitted to an Ivy League school for engineering after sending in an application a few weeks after the deadline.

    January 13, 2007 10:14 AM  
    Blogger ABBEY said...

    thanks gramps...u see, i already sent the application way before the deadline, but this is just an additional letter and they claim it counts as an app material. long story. but i sent it sha, we'll see what happens

    January 13, 2007 10:39 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I swear Abi you have more balls than condy rice. I sent in my stuff and just waited. LOL No balls to even call. Thank God this is not law school cos i'll be rejected for having no courage. LOL. anyway, the other premeds I met with on interviews hadn't heard from Harvard... dunno if that helps. Sorry for the waitlist thing... you'll probably get better offers. This whole process is way to random. I wish we were told the places we would get in b4 applying and told to apply to the one we want most out of them :-D. I got waitlisted-for-interviews at "crutch" schools. Just cant wait for May 15th... BTW I hope you applied to Wash U...

    January 14, 2007 10:24 AM  
    Blogger ABBEY said...

    Miss E, i dunno if its balls or just impatience lol! but i'll take balls. And they guy I spoke to said Harvard stops sending interview invites at the end of Jan so that lit the fire on my behind. We'll see, whatever happens happens.

    As per you fantasy application process, lol, that sounds very spiritual but it would be hella nice.

    And I called WashU and was told they didn't give aid to international students so I didn't bother applying. I felt they were very high end anyways with regards to their numbers. I'm guessing you applied there huh?

    January 14, 2007 10:54 AM  
    Blogger ABBEY said...

    hmmm really!! I called them up sometime last yr and they told me there was nothing available. Pretty interesting. Oh well, another one bites the dust!!

    Good luck getting in, from what i hear, its avery good school

    January 14, 2007 10:29 PM  
    Blogger Biodun said...

    Your plate sure seems full, pls silent that voice o, if it means praying n all. Goodluck and I know u will get positive results by God's grace!

    January 15, 2007 12:46 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ah NO! I know 2 Nigerian F-1 students at Wash U that have full, yes full scholarship for med school. so thats misguided info. Well, i am in med school myself in DC. Class of 2010 reppin. Take it easy, only those who have gone through this hazing process can understand the craziness. But the great thing is that it is well worth it at the end of the day. I will be making a profile soon and i would be sure to subscribe. ok now back to anatomy (yes, after seeing what we do to the bodies, i am not donating myself, nope). Im glad you have an acceptance already. Adn i hope the studentdoctor.com folks did not scare you too much.
    So im curious, after the app process, what will you blog about. Ok, my post is too long and im out!

    February 05, 2007 12:36 AM  
    Blogger ABBEY said...

    i really think that must be a merit scholarship to WashU but oh well..
    thanks for stopping by..not sure what i will be blogging abt after the process or if i would even have time to do so.

    February 05, 2007 7:19 PM  
    Blogger AyoRocks said...

    i left the last anonymous message. I dont know if its merit scholarship. have not spoken with them ever since they started. But yeah, i now have my own blog. check it out sometime.

    February 06, 2007 1:04 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As for the person comparing Medical school applications to engineering applications. You are comparing apples and oranges. Too many people (i.e. great students) apply for the limited number of spaces so the med schools are looking to screen for whatever reason. Harvard MEd is one of the most sought after programs so believe me you need serious connections or a miracle to get them to listen to you.
    You can never compare this process to an application to any engineering program (I don't care how exclusive the school is).
    Although it never hurts to try. You'll hate your first 2 years - your life changes completely. I graduate Rutgers med in 3 weeks. This yr (4th year) has been the best.
    Anyways all the best.

    April 26, 2007 9:24 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Back to Latest Post