Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Thursday, December 21, 2006

THE SMALL PRINT YOU "FORGOT" TO READ

Have you ever signed up for a credit card, insurance policy or just some random crap someone throws at you and then one day you get sent some obscure bill or charge that you never saw coming? Poor you, if only you had busted out the magnifying glass to read them small prints. You would have realized the truth. If only. By the way, here's another one you might have missed

The very first time you found this page, the very first word you read on this page, made you a party to a non-verbal, unwritten contract stating that you would stick with ABBEY till this journey's end. So just because she has one admission does not now exclude you from said contract. The journey is now proceeding to new frontiers and you are an officially signed member till at least May 15th, 2007 the day when she will officially agree to a dedicated relationship to one and only one Medical School, forsaking all others. A WHITE COAT ceremony will be the only event that would officially signify the termination of this contract.

OK so let me put that nicely...you guys have stuck with me so far, have even been more excited than I was for my first acceptance. I mean I began to realize the gravity of the acceptance when I saw all the comments on here and when my phone was ringing off the hook like I just won the lottery. So pwitty please stick with me to the end. I can't do it without you (OK so I can, but you get the drift). There are many more stories to tell and better yet, there are about 16 more schools I'm waiting to hear from, one email can change the enitre story, so one acceptance is simply an Insurance Policy that come what may, I'm going to be a Doctor. That feels soooo good to type. What the heck, I'll type it again.

"COME WHAT MAY, I'M GOING TO BE A DOCTOR"

<< Back to Latest Post

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on! So it means this blog ends after you officially get into one medical school? That is not fair, please continue writing as a medical student!

December 21, 2006 1:49 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

I really don't know arturo...i have thought of it quite a bit I haven't decided yet. One day at a time.

December 21, 2006 9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. A I will miss your blogs. Just keep a log when you can. But being in Medical School and blogging doesn't sound right. We have enough keeping us back, a blog just can't. Yeah, I'm still waiting for the blog when you really realize that yes, the Lord kept you, and you're going to be Dr. A. Everyone's Aunt

December 21, 2006 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Abi!!!! You know I was so gung-ho about the biomedical engineering route, but I'm bias like dat ;-). I wish you all the best, I'm sooo proud of you. Keep doing your thang and may God continue to bless you in this journey. You're going to be a doctor!!! How cool is that?!? Merry Christmas! Someone's niece.

December 21, 2006 9:42 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

The "Someone's" family, thank you guys for your support so far. @Aunt...this is all in theory...the moment I really know I'm am a doc will be the first day I step into the wards as a resident till then, God only knows what can happen.

Again thank you ladies for the support, I'm not going anywhere just yet, like I said there are stories to tell and more acceptances on the way(lol, it's funny how one positive can change one's whole mind set, I honestly did not think I was going to get an accepted anywhere when I started applying...all I can say is thank GOD)

December 21, 2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger NaijaBloke said...

Close blog ke ..
Aunty and someone else's niece ..u berra blog whenever u can instead of shutting the blog down or else ....

Congrats again jere

December 21, 2006 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post