Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Giving of Another Sort

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas. Mine was nice and relaxing. My sister and I headed to New Jersey and spent Christmas with a good friend.

So I decided to give you guys a break from my whinings about the application process for a minute and ask a question that I've been trying to answer myself. A somewhat uncomfortable question.

Have you ever heard of the organization called UNOS aka the GOD committee? Everyday this committee literally has to sit down and decide who they will give life to and who will literally die from their long list. A pretty tough job especially when you realize that these deaths could probably all be avoided if only more people checked one or two conveniently located check-boxes.

I haven't checked them either and I keep asking myself why? It's right there behind my driver's license and I pretty much pretend it's not. Tons of people go to the grave daily with valuable organs that could be gifted to one person on this long list of people waiting for a kidney, a heart or sometimes an eye. Of course many people site different reasons for not donating their organs and many of them are valid. But not only are people dying from this shortage, a black market has developed around the world where organs are being traded and stolen from unsuspecting people. I know it's almost the New Year and the last thing anyone wants to think of is death but I can't help but think of the John Q's of this world who are praying for a miracle for their son also for the New Year. In this case, the harvest COULD BE plentiful but the land is not yielding its wealth so the villagers die of starvation.

Why do you think people are so reluctant to donate their organs? I guess the question is why are you and I reluctant and if you already indicated yourself as a donor, what motivated you to? Would we be more willing if there was some kind of compensation(especially for non-vital organs)? Your responses are extremely appreciated.

<< Back to Latest Post

9 Comments:

Blogger NaijaBloke said...

U this doctors sef ..LOL ... I think donating organs is not what an average person would start thinking abt ... Most of the people that think abt it r probably old people and people who r terminally ill if am right.

I dont think I will sit down and start thinking abt donating my organ when i die when am trying to keep them intact for myself right now ..

Happy new year in advance jere dear

December 28, 2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

lol...i guess that's one reason. But we don't have to be dead/dying to donate things like kidneys, etc though.

After a certain age they can't use people's organs too..

Happy New year to you too broda

December 28, 2006 12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one major reason I havent checked the box is I am not ready to deal with the possibility of my demise. I'm terrified of leaving soon and so I dont even think about it. When I come to terms with death (probably when I am confronted with it 1st hand most likely by seeing someone die), then checking the box may come easier... :) As for donating thinks like kidneys... I dunno, I like to intact until maybe God takes away from me. Family is a diff case tho... shrug.

December 28, 2006 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't checked the box, but my husband has. I haven't done it for major reasons. First, I don't wnat to die on someone's highway and then the first thing someone comes and takes my organs without my people even getting to say bye. In fact, if I'm in a highway accident, God forbid, I want everyone to fast and pray for healing. Second, I have suffered two blood clots in my life, I have Thalasemia, and I don't think they can use my organs anyway. My BF gave her mom her kidney, and mom still died. She suffered from diabetes and was on dialisis. Her mom went back home in a bodybag. A clot took her life. My BF has a nasty scar to remind her daily that her good efforts killed her mother.

December 29, 2006 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaaawww... she shouldn't think her good efforts killed her mom. She made the ultimate human sacrifice for her mom. Not money, but a part of her. The scar should be a reminder of how much she loved her mom...

December 29, 2006 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, her good efforts did not kill her mum. Her mum died despite the donation but she knows she did her best. Not everyone that receives a donated organ (or any kind of treatment) would be healed. Anyway, I checked the box. I'm not sure what I'll be doing with my organs when I die so I don't see any reason not to. The only time I would hesistate is if I have to give someone a kidney or something and i'm still pretty much healthy. That would be a huge sacrifice that I hope i'd be able to make but i'm not 100% certain.

December 30, 2006 7:38 PM  
Blogger Gramps said...

People don't want to think about death YET, which is definitely what they are doing when they consider checking that box or not.

Second could be the "mysticism" we [Africans] associate with body parts. I mean, till a body is physically buried, the family doesn't think there has been a "closure". The same thing for when they know some body parts are missing.

January 01, 2007 3:30 AM  
Blogger Biodun said...

I am not an organ donor, @ least I didnt check that box off when I got my license, the whole idea is spoky thinking of it, but then again u have a point, hmm should I or shouldnt I..hmm, this is a tough one..I renew my license this year, so maybe, orrrrr..

January 01, 2007 11:42 AM  
Blogger Bella Naija said...

This is a tough question.
I honestly dont know.
The logical thing would be to say yes.

Anyway, have a happy new year. Congrats on your admission to med school. We pray for many more offers!

January 02, 2007 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post