Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Alright people...I'm much calmer than I thought I would be getting the news...but I'm in. The Struggle is almost over. One Acceptance in the bag. Got the news at 5am this morning, for some reason they sent the packet to my sister's address and she didn't come in from work till 5am(Computer Science Majors!!) but yeah...

I got the news and I couldn't sleep for the next hour or so. I just lay there thanking GOD and swinging in and out of some dream that I was back in the school on my interview day. Reliving the whole day, minute after minute. I was kinda expecting some kind of news this week...we were told we'll hear something between Dec 15th and 20th. I was going to blog about that but I was trying not to dwell too much on it, so here I am...whatever the case, Imma be a doc.

The one and half month of silence is over and to coat it all up, I got another interview this morning.

I probably won't get extremely excited until I see the letter, but for now, I'm just very grateful to GOD and to everyone that has encouraged me through this.

<< Back to Latest Post

15 Comments:

Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

CONGRATULATIONS girl. God is good oh, it's gonna be testimonies galore from now on. He always comes thru for his pikins oh. I'm calling u tonite. Now, i'm seriously motivated. No more DAT's for me, i'm sticking thru with the MCAT's and by God's grace all will be well. I'm so excited, u'd think i'm the one that got admiotted. We've to wash this one o, so make sure u bring ur behind to NY.

December 19, 2006 4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you, I always knew you would make it, now your blog has to be named: "Getting Out of Medical School"

December 19, 2006 8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

getting out of medical school... LOL

December 19, 2006 8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Abbey!!!!! Congratulations!!!! God is simply amazing. I wonder if you felt like Will Smith in Pursuit of Happyness when he found out he gotthe job. Celebrate!! Merry Xmas and Happy New Year in advance.

December 19, 2006 9:06 PM  
Blogger Biodun said...

Congrats girl!!! we have 2 wash am o seriously, glad 2 know that all d stress paid off!

December 19, 2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

thanks guys...my sis is arriving this night with the letter so imma go sit in some corner and digest the contents.

I haven't seen the pursuit of happyness but its the no 1 movie on my list...as soon as i get a minute.

Getting out of med school...we'll see about that one. And hey don't stop the prayers, I'm greedy, nuff said

December 19, 2006 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HALLELUJAH! Because Hallelujah is the Highest Praise. God is good and Worthy. The prayers will continue until the day Jesus returns to call his children home. And I guess the next Blog will be the name of school. Worthy Worthy My God IS Worthy. Psalms 37:25 "I have been young, and now am old;yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken,nor his seed begging bread." Someone's Aunt

December 20, 2006 7:51 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

Long time no hear Aunty...I guess the good news brought you out of hiding. The name of the school is at the bottom of the post.

December 20, 2006 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm also applying this year and I'm hoping for some good news too.

December 20, 2006 9:40 AM  
Blogger Gramps said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

All the best as you embark on this new journey.

December 20, 2006 1:43 PM  
Blogger Bella Naija said...

Thank God!!!!!
I am beyond happy for u!
U totally deserve it....I hope u get a great package as per financial aid!
Congrats~

December 20, 2006 6:52 PM  
Blogger NaijaBloke said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 20, 2006 7:47 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

@anon: goodluck with your apps, just do your thing and by GOD's grace all will be well.

@OWNB:lol...thank you oh, GOD will give you your own dreams and wishes too.

@bella: that's the next hurdle now oh...MONEY!! will blog about that soon.

@gramps and NB: thanks a lot. NB can't wait to hear the news, i think i know what its about.

@

December 20, 2006 10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Biodun! You've worked so hard for this... the first of many great things to come :)

PS: You should see Pursuit of HappYness. It's such a great inspirational movie

December 20, 2006 11:44 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

aww Fope thanks...we started the journey together since way back home, so it's really been a long one.

I'm gonna see the movie tomorrow or maybe today!!

December 21, 2006 9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post