Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

This Crayfish is officially Bent

(Forgot to mention earlier before I started ranting...thanksgiving was awesome and very relaxing...was asleep 70% of the time lol)

I'm back but at the same time I'm not. I don't exactly have a post planned....more like a rant. Where do I start?

I have what could be a very stressful interview coming up on Friday. From my research the school is big on ethics and healthcare issues so I kinda have to be ready to dish out ways to improve the US healthcare system in a heartbeat. I've uprooted my medical ethics book from freshman year and I've been digesting as much of this whole health care policy blah blah as possible. Can I just say the junk is complicated and boring as hell, but at thesame time mildly interesting. MILDLY. Medicare, medicaid, HMO, socialized medicine, single-payer system...the list is endless, the only thing I know is that whatever policy the US has, it makes me darn scared to fall sick because insurance companies are just trying to pay their employees and make a profit...they don't give two about me and you. Now I have to find a way to say that professionally...

I've also spent the last few weeks writing letters to the school that placed me on hold and one of the ones I interviewed at. Pretty much I've been doing some major sucking up. So major that I'm embarassed to read the letters over for fear of completely disgusting myself...but like my people say, "Na condition wey make crayfish bend", I'm bent twice over right now...

Then there are my kids taking their exams in January...we did a practice test this week and let's just say we have about 10 sessions to improve their score by at least 300...

Then there's work...

Then there's my other interview next week...

Then the deafening silence from just about all the other medical schools, can I just get a "hello"?...

I'm down under right now but gradually trying to crawl out...I say we do something fun and only loosely career related next, whenever that is...

Oh by the way...did you know that a South African, Christiaan Barnard, (yeah yeah, he's probably originally British or something but he's from South Africa) was the first doctor to perform a heart transplant, the patient only lived for about 18 days after the surgery(rejection issues) but apparently it still counts - See, I told you I've been reading.

<< Back to Latest Post

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"At the time I have decided, my words will come true. You can trust what I say about the future. It may take a long time, but keep on waiting -- it will happen!" - Habakkuk 2:3 (Comtemporary English Version)

Have Faith! :)

November 29, 2006 12:57 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

hmmm nice translation and very encouraging verse.

thanks!

November 29, 2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger Biodun said...

Wow ur week seems stressful, God is ur strength. In Jesus name, everything will work it self out in ur favor!

November 29, 2006 9:56 AM  
Blogger NaijaBloke said...

Alas!!! somborri say Amen... she finanlly updates her blog ..calling me kettle.

Pele I feel u jere and God is ur stength

U have a nice rest of the week and G'luck on ur interview

November 29, 2006 5:58 PM  
Blogger Gramps said...

The good thing about ur current situation is that You will scale through perfectly intact and you will use this experience when you face tougher challenges

"Ahhhh... but why will I face tougher cases", you may ask...
I don't know. I just know they come along. But think of it this way - Only the very good athletes face tougher challenges for them to prove they are Good, Better and the Best.

November 30, 2006 6:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

70%? I don't know about that!!!(lol)

December 01, 2006 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post