Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Monday, October 23, 2006

Take My Word For It!

Ok y'all this is completely out of the blue...but just go with the flow.

About three months or so ago, I was at our local mall trying to shop for some finishing touches to an outfit I was trying to put together for a wedding(which I crashed by the way), when one of those peeps that stay in the middle of the mall(those ones that don't have stores) called me to come and see what he was selling. Most of the time all these people show case are phone plans or crazy gadgets like head massaging spiders and stuff so I don't usually even give them the time of day. But this guy just caught my attention. All he said was

"Excuse me, let me show you something"

For some reason I decided to stop and see this time. I was on a budget so there was no way he was going to make me buy jack! All for this guy to grab my fingers and stare at them.

Him: "Hmmm, I see you like to keep your nails short"

Me: "Yes" (More like they have refused to grow and I'm tired of coating them hundred times with some Sally Hansen product or the other all for the polish to peel off two minutes later while doing dishes)

He proceeded to show me his own nails. They were white and shiny y'all with very defined cuticles and everything. All I could really say was "Wow!". At this point I'm thinking to myself "Ok so you're either very Meterosexual/Borderline Gay or just straight up Gay, and you have the time and money to go to the nail parlor every weekend but you're surely not about to make me feel bad for not being able to afford such"

Next thing I know he starts rubbing my finger nail with some sand paper type thing. I was thinking to myself...Is this even hygienic?(Sorry, microbiology got me a tad bit OCD) How many other people's fingernails had he rubbed with thesame thing today?

The sandpaper thingy was a kind of cuboid shaped buffer type thing with a black sandpapery face, a white smooth face and an ash colored face. After the sandpaper, he switches over to the white face and starts rubbing thesame nail with that too for about 30 seconds. He finishes and shows me...I'm thinking....OK....???

Then he switched to the ash colored side and started rubbing thesame fingernail again for like 30 seconds. When he was done y'all and I saw my nails my mouth dropped open. The thing was shining like there was no tomorrow. Clear and shiny. He then told me that the shine could last for up to 3 months and was not affected by dishwashing or even nail remover. He actually cleaned the nail with the remover(I smelt the stuff, it was really nail remover complete with foul smelling acetone) but nothing happened, the thing was still shiny. At this point I'm thinking "Wow...this one na real Magic from Columbia" but I still had to put my game face on. Couldn't let him know I was sold already. I asked all the necessary questions and then finally the most important one....how much is it? After much bargainning(played the broke student card) he agreed to sell me the kit for twenty bucks...not too bad...but it would be breaking my budget. I started doing some complex arithmethic in my head, extrapolating future paychecks and stuff all this while with one hand behind me feeling the nail(Dang! It felt good!).

Long story short...I bought it. A week after using it my nail started growing like crazy and beautifully too. I didn't even know how drastic the change was until a friend of mine saw it and told me it was the best my nail had ever been since they met me. I guess that's a compliment (lol!).

But on the real y'all this thing is awesome. The guy told me the buffer itself could last for 2 years....I think he just pulled a random number out of his hat on that one. I needed a replacement after about 3 months(maybe cus I used it like three times a week)...ordered on their website cus when I went to the mall the guy was gone. The replacement came today at work...as in I couldn't even wait to go home to use it, I opened up the package and was rubbing my fingers under my desk lol! One of my coworkers tried it and she was about to order some immediately but I had to convince her to go home and do her dishes and convince herself that the thing doesn't come off. It's amazing.

Alright, I know I just spent a whole post on this and bombarded you with a lot of "as ins" and "reallys" but I mean...really!....you have to try it for yourself. Guy, Girl, Lady, Woman, Man whoever try it. And no...I don't get any profits from advertising it.

Here's the link ...If you want, you can get the whole kit but I personally thought the hand lotion was a bit too strong(odor wise) for me. All you really need is the Nail Buffer and maybe the cuticle oil. I'm not sure they ship outside the states but you can check!

<< Back to Latest Post

15 Comments:

Blogger ABBEY said...

I've never really had the acrylics, the thought crossed my mind but not since I found this.

i've been quadriple tagged...can you smell what the ROCK is cooking? lol...i'm trying to create hype for my response! but really i'm working on it...by the end of the week, promise

October 23, 2006 11:22 PM  
Blogger TMinx said...

GURRRRL thats not new oh. When we were younger, we would crush those tiles you find in bathrooms to a fine powder then use the side of one hand to pick up the dust then rub the nails on the other hand up and down like crazy ...VOILA..the same results. I guess this is an easier way of doing it but in sure its the same ingredients.

October 24, 2006 1:30 AM  
Blogger Biodun said...

lol, i will go order mine too

October 24, 2006 2:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abi this stuff has been out for a while. They may change the packaging, the person in the mall may be different, but yes, it does work. However, it can last up to 2-3 months without re-using. So STOP using so often. but happy you shared with those who don't know. you write awesome blogs.

October 24, 2006 8:10 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

@taurean...we weren't adventurous enough to discover that when we were little but it might be thesame ingredients.

@biodun...yeah enjoy it.

October 24, 2006 8:12 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

@anon: thanks..i figured it was out for a min but I just discovered it and none of my friends knew about it so I figured not many ppl do either.

October 24, 2006 8:14 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

@ anon... and yeah i'll try to control myself and not use it so often...it's a trip though!

October 24, 2006 8:15 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

lol...overwhelmed they ambushed you too huh? but it is well worth it, thank GOD someone else experienced it so I'm not sounding like a bush girl. But yeah get it oh...its amazing!

October 24, 2006 3:39 PM  
Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

Abbey, as in ur nails are growing? I can't believe it until i see. I saw my friend's nails shining yesterday and asked what she did to it, that was how she narrated a story similar to urs. My plan was to get it at the mall this weekend too.

October 24, 2006 10:57 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

dang...its spreading like wildfire! But yeah it does work...as in I have to cut them after a few weeks and start over because they start getting in the way of stuff-like ripping my lab gloves while trying to wear them, etc.

October 24, 2006 11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm - I'm amazed. A friend tried them a couple months ago and it didnt last 2 days. I wonder why... (not trying to burst anyone's bubble or anything but make sure it works for you first :) )

October 25, 2006 12:13 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

it probably depends on which one u get...i can only vouch for the line i have

October 25, 2006 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

umm, since this last post is kinda softball'ish :)(do guys really umm like use nail care products :) )?, more Grey's Anatomy steada, say, House. Howsabout makin the next post some hardcore 'gunner' premed post. MCAT(study tactics u've used etc), interviews(anonomously of course), and updates on that ingenious tutoring idea !

Rock on, F-1 Abby :)

October 26, 2006 12:25 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

whatever...camel milk, maybe u guys shd start caring :). And do you really want my study tactics for the MCAT...?

I was actually thinking of posting one of the essays that got me an interview but that might be pushing the anonymity thing, we'll see though. I'll get back to premed stuff soon but I just needed a break and I still have a little tag I have to do first...then after that, I'll come up with smthing.

And seriously...try the nail grooming thing, that might break the ice between you and your dream girl(after she convinces herself that you're not gay lol).

October 26, 2006 1:28 AM  
Blogger archiwiz said...

Nice blog...Didn't know there were many Naija peeps on the net. :D

November 01, 2006 11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post