Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Ok so something came up...

So I misplaced my keys at home today before heading out for my shift at the emergency room (started volunteering there last week). Was in a hurry so I didn't have time to search. I ended up having to leave my apartment door unlocked and hoped no weirdo will be there waiting for me when I got back. Checked my snail mail-box on the way out and saw there was a letter in there, for me or my roommate. Probably junk mail, no keys anyways so I couldn't check. Off to the ER.

Compared to last week it was exciting today. A 15 year old was being a good boy and mowing the lawn of the house. Suddenly the mower hit a little metal pole (about as thick as two nails, maybe a foot long) underground. Think of throwing a piece of metal at a fan's blades while in motion. The metal got uprooted from the ground, propelled in the air and stabbed old boy in the leg. (Grey's Anatomy fans think of this week's episode, the guy with a tree trunk stuck in him, but on a smaller scale). This guy was wincing in pain. After a few shots of morphine he quieted down a bit, at the time I left, he was waiting for vacancy in the Operating Room (OR) to get the the pole removed...all I could say was wow! I was impressed with myself, I did not even wince at the sight, I'm stronger than I thought. But the next case just left my mouth wide open though.

So the ER got a radio message from the EMTs (the guys that come when you dial 9-1-1), they said to prepare for a trauma case (aka drop everything else you're doing and prepare for the worst). They were bringing in an attempted suicide case. All the doctors, physician assistants, nurses, you name it were running up and down wearing all kind of masks and gowns and heading to the trauma room. Me being at the bottom of the ER food chain, I wasn't in the trauma room with them, there was no more room in there anyways, about twenty different kind of doctors were in. They bring in the guy, get ready for this y'all, HE WAS 12! What is a 12 year old trying to commit suicide for? Hold on to your seats now...

He tried to hang himself because his Grandma had not bought him the video game he wanted for his birthday! The poor old lady found him in the bathroom and called 9-1-1. All I can say is Geeez. At this juncture, I would like to take a note from TUPAC and communicate with my unborn child/children:

DEAR JUNIOR,

MOMMY HERE, I KNOW THERE'S ONLY HALF OF YOU INSIDE ME RIGHT NOW, BUT THERE'RE SOMETHINGS WE NEED TO CLARIFY. YOU CAN TELL YOUR SPERM HALF WHEN Y'ALL FINALLY MEET.

I'M GONNA LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART AND ALL...BUT IF YOU EVER, I MEAN EVER TRY ANYTHING OF THIS SORT(...HMMM...SOMEONE HOLD ME NOW CUS I'M ABOUT TO HURT SOMEONE...) YOU MIGHT AS WELL DO IT FAST AND ACCURATELY CUS IF I FIND YOU...I MEAN IF I FIND YOU IN THE PROCESS(*WHOOOO...SNAPPING FINGERS*)AFTER I TAKE YOU TO THE HOSPITAL AND THEY CONFIRM EVERYTHING IS OK, WE WILL PACK OUR THINGS,THANK THE DOCTORS FOR SAVING YOUR LIFE, I WILL PROBABLY EVEN GIVE YOU A HUG CUS OF ALL THE HORMONES THAT WILL BE RAGING IN MY BODY AT THAT TIME. THEN WE WILL GO HOME, I WILL DO MY MOTHERHLY DUTIES AND FEED YOU YOUR FAVORITE MEAL, THEN PROCEED TO MY OTHER MOTHERLY DUTY, WHOOPING YOUR BEHIND.

I WILL WHOOP YOU SO BAD THAT YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF BACK ON THESAME BED IN THESAME ER AND PROBABLY SEEING THESAME DOCTOR SO HE WILL UNDERSTAND EXACTLY WHY WE'RE BACK SO SOON. SO WHETHER I BUY YOU YOUR "MADDEN FOOTBALL YEAR 2016 EDITION" OR ALL I CAN GET YOU IS A T-SHIRT FROM THE DOLLAR STORE FOR YOUR NEXT BIRTHDAY, YOU WILL...ACTUALLY IT'S NOT A CHOICE...YOU MUST BE ETERNALLY GRATEFUL. CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!!!!

LOVE, YO MAMMA

On the real though, how could that kid have done such to his grandma, the poor lady looked so distraught. She had to go through all kind of paper work with Social Workers and Psychiatrists. I was beginning to get scared that they might try to take him out of her custody. It looked like they understood though. Kids are just crazy nowadays, especially with all the crap they show on TV these days. All I really could found out before my shift ended was that his brain was OK but he was still not very conscious. I really pray none of us ever experience such and he gets better soon.

Anyways so I came back home and finally found my keys. Ran back down to check my mail. It was a letter from one of the Med Schools. Was very thin, looked like a rejection to me. Opened it and looked for the famous line "We had many qualified applicants this year..." but I was pleasantly surprised.

IT'S ANOTHER INTERVIEW Y'ALL...IVY LEAGUE BABY!!!!!!

Like Dave Chapelle will say...IT'S A CELEBRATION BISSHES!

Aight, I'm out. Off to read that letter again, must make sure I'm not dreaming.

<< Back to Latest Post

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It ain't no stoppin the F-1 train. We comin' thru full steam ahead, bull-dozing through all road(rail)blocks. Congrats !

October 01, 2006 12:18 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

tell 'em munsa...TELL THEM! I'm so hype right now lol!

thanks for stopping by!

October 01, 2006 12:19 AM  
Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

For real Abbey, this is just the beginning of the plenty blessings God has in store for u. I'm speechless o, concerning that 12 yr old boy. What in heavens name was he thinking? Maybe it started out as a silly prank, over some stupid video games. TV nowadays is really bad news, 'cos u get all sorts of crappy shows that kids don't know the difference, they just watch everything. Are u still volunteering at the AIDS Hospice? All the best girl, and hope ur interview goes well.
P.S: I've been cautious about blogging on my E.R. escapades, 'cos i don't want it to be like a breach od confidentiality. Find out if it's ok to blog on the stuff u see, so u don't get urself in serious yawa.

October 01, 2006 7:50 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

thanks bijoux...you are allowed to talk about anything you see so far you don't mention any names, so share your stories girl its part of the experience!

I haven't been at the hospice in a few weeks first I was sick for like a month and you can't eneter the building if you have any form of viral infection. Then stuff just got crazy. I'll try to go back soon.

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY

October 01, 2006 9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is awesome. CONGRATULATIONS! You're almost home. Continue to keep the faith and know that the battle has already been won. Roamans 8:31 "What shall we then say to these theings? If God be for us, who can be against us?"

As for the young man, yes we live in a sick work. If you go to the 60 minutes homepage, you will see where many are killing the homeless, inspired from a bumbfight video put out there. Many teens are killing homeless people and all in the name of fun. Okay, let me get off my soapbox while on your blog.

Again, God's richest Blessings on you. An Aunt to many.

October 02, 2006 11:18 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

those teenage years are pretty crazy, apparently studies have shown that the teenage brain is not completely developed so some things that are obviously stupid to us are not so to them.

Thanks for the encouragement again...you're a blessing.

October 02, 2006 1:27 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

yup i feel you...it might actually work in his favor to make matters worse, it was a black family. woulda thought the boy would have gotten enough whoopings to know better by now, but if he lives with his grandma alone she might be getting too old for that. oh well...

have a great one too :)

October 02, 2006 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post