Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Thursday, August 31, 2006

What to do when all Hell Breaks Loose

Someone please tell me to get off here! Right now I'm trying to escape from my reality. Everything seems to be happening all at once.

Challenge 1:
My summer sublease is over tomorrow so I will be leaving the comfort of a stranger's bed, couch, TV, etc and spending labor day weekend moving my stuff one block down the street and most likely, smack in the middle of Tropical Depression "Ernesto" or whatever other state of mind he decides to turn into this weekend. The best part is the apartment is completely...UNFURNISHED. Why did I just find that out today? In other words, I will be in a very spartan apartment, me and my camping chair from freshman year, just the two of us, well and a sea of boxes of my junk. I guess with no internet and cable I will have no excuse but to face my reality...

Challenge 2, 3, 4...
What Reality you might ask? All I can say is be careful what you ask for. I've been begging GOD to allow the powers that be verify my primary applications all this while and yesterday, 1 month and five days after submission, after sucking up my $760, after taking my blood pressure to new highs, they finally did. They verified the darn thing. And the cycle has started again. Round two of my Charity Ball has started but this time the money is being doled out in bits...100 bucks to school A, 75 bucks to school B and the nice ones only ask for $45, but they all add up. Between yesterday and today I have received about 6 more secondaries, I know I wanted them but dang! Can we agree on a Take-It-Easy-On-ABBEY ceasefire here. One a week please. And not only do they want my money, they have other requests.

They want to get to know "another side of me". Like other things I'm passionate about apart from medicine. Oh I'm allowed to have interests outside wondering how every organ in the body worked? Wow, wish I had known that sooner. Then some of them want me to tell them something ELSE apart from what I told them in my primary applications. Problem is I told them everything they want and need to hear already. The only card left to play is the Poor-Girl-From-Third-World-Country one and that is only used when the doodoo is right about to hit the fan. If they push hard enough though, they might just get it. *I really just feel like screaming right now*

*Shakes head* Human beings! We honestly can never be satisfied. God Forgive Me.

Pseudo-Challenge:
In between all of this, my student is taking his GREs in a week or so and needless to say our sessions have been getting more intensive. I really hope he does very well so at least I won't feel bad for taking those checks after each of our sessions. It has been an emotional roller coaster too. Some days things are looking positive and others are just frustrating, for both of us. Note that this is only considered a "pseudo-challenge" cus it actually brings in income unlike the earlier ones. Nuff Said!


So my tasks for this weekend are to
- Look into getting a decent "lightly-used" mattress that at least looks like no party/parties have had numerous failed attempts at "going into the world and multiplying" on it.
- Or a couch, whichever is cheaper
- Get one of these seemingly impossible essays done and turn in a few more applications next week.
- Wait and Pray, then start ranting again when the wait is over!

So what do you do when all hell breaks loose? You ESCAPE, into another world-cyber or otherwise. The key to this technique is that said ESCAPE is TEMPORARY, again I say TEMPORARY. If you find it hard to come back to your REALITY, you're on your own. This is me getting back to mine...

PS: If anyone knows where I can get free GRE math tests online let me know. thanks!
PPS: And checkout some other interesting blogs on my sidebars...more ways to escape reality lol

<< Back to Latest Post

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, u never know what you ought to have done until "BAM!!" Its right there in your face. It always happens. Don't worry, by the time your house/apt is full of stuff, u wouldn't even know.

September 01, 2006 3:46 AM  
Blogger Seyi said...

Yep, you'll start off with nothing and then find, when you're moving somewhere else in a few months/yrs, that you've got more stuff than ever thought u had :-D

All the best with stuff

September 01, 2006 7:29 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

ok guys...the point is to make sure that does not happen, I'm only here for 1 yr unless I happen to get admitted into med school here then accruing stuff might be worth it.

September 01, 2006 7:48 AM  
Blogger NaijaBloke said...

Got directed to ur blog from a friend's blog.

Nice blog will be back

September 01, 2006 2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm..hmmm...your blog entries are so funnnny...i'm eager to see you in person whenever u visit TX ;)

About the gre thingy check www.grebible.com

the sample downloads are v good.. i used it when i did mine 2 or 3years back...if your client(s) is/are rich enough, you might want to order the prep questions...

September 04, 2006 4:10 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

thanks for the site...hope to meet u too sometime!

September 06, 2006 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey chica, I suggest an air bed, lol

September 06, 2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

i actually got a full size mattress off craigslist.org for 45 bucks!

September 06, 2006 6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post