Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Saturday, September 23, 2006

The few perks of an underfurnished apartment

(An ode to my favorite MasterCard Commercial)

Apartment Furnishings: My camping chair from freshman year, an old lazy boy recliner, a 27-inch TV that only has one channel but doubles well as an "entertainment center", the 12-inch functioning TV sitting on top of the 27-inch TV to bring it up to eye-level, my roommate's center rug from college, a "Bakers" shoe box that doubles as both a writing surface and dinning table, and last but not least, my "justification for higher education" wall poster: $100 (give or take depreciation or appreciation index)

Basic Cable + Internet from noted cable provider: $40 /month + hidden charges and the inconveniences of never getting to watch Nip/Tuck or Monday Night Football

EXTENDED Basic Cable+Internet from thesame cable provider: $100/month + more hidden charges, Nip/Tuck and Monday Night Football.

Getting Extended Basic Cable for the price of Basic Cable because the Cable Guy felt sorry for both you and the pathetic state of your apartment...PRICELESS!

For everything else...I stare at my poster and convince myself it's all going to be worth it.

<< Back to Latest Post

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your poster, I guess we share the same ambition...I'm an aspiring medical student too, but I haven't finished my bachelor's degree yet, love your blog!

September 23, 2006 10:20 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

yeah I fell in love with the poster when I saw it cus let's face it whether we love to build bridges or cure the world, we won't be doing it unless it put food on the table or paid the bills.

good luck on the long road to med school though and thanks for stopping by.

September 23, 2006 11:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a $100 poster?? HAng it in your house when you get married. Sorry, I am an Ijebu man!lol

September 24, 2006 4:53 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

nah...everything in the house is $100.

September 24, 2006 4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RELIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 24, 2006 5:05 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

u suppose trust now!!

September 24, 2006 5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Abbey,
Laughed at your writeup! Made me remember when I once stayed in a threadbare apartment....and there was no TV sef, it was awful!

September 25, 2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

so i guess i can't complain...we have "two" tvs

September 25, 2006 2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol... big ups girl... and all the positive best, with a little bit of negative for balance... we always need to balance life's equation... but u arriving at the answer is sure cake dear... blog on!

September 26, 2006 6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What other posters did you like or would reccomend.

I like the ones that usually have a word or phrase like "Perseverance", "Redemption" etc with a beautiful scenic background

September 30, 2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

it's kinda hard to recommend posters, you can't really tell until you see the one you like. At least that's how it works for me.

Those one word ones are nice though, leave's a lot to the imagination.

I have this one too:

http://www.beyondthewall.com/xcart/product.php?productid=9109&cat=0&page=1

The quote on it is "Sunday Best", I don't really think it shows in that picture. The pic was taken in Chicago, 1941. I liked it cus it reminded me of back in the day when I only had one or two good outfits for church on sunday. kinda random, i know.

thanks for stopping by.

September 30, 2006 4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post