Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Let the games begin already!

As the days go by, my applications are gradually reclaiming their spot somewhere close to the front burner. I'm trying not to allow my still unverified primary applications get to me. It will be officially one month tomorrow since submission. At this time of the year I was expecting to have had some interviews in the bag by now, but so far I have only received four secondaries and expecting at most 16 more. Oh well...I'll just have to be patient and keep praying that AAMC gets its act together sooner than later. Till then though, I am completing the few secondaries I have been blessed with in as little time as possible. Some of them have been nothing short of a joke and others have been a little more involved than the others. One of the Ivy League ones is actually asking me to type out my responses on the paper application they sent me. Helllooo...this is like the 21st century where am I going to find a typewriter? Tsall good though, beggar has no choice.

So in my "free time", I've been casually preparing for the much awaited interviews. First on the to do list is to purchase a suit. Yes even after I realized the need during college I still didn't buy one. They are just too darn expensive and the need hadn't come up again, well, until now. I actually bought one at the beginning of the summer but it's not exactly appropriate. BLUE, with PINK and WHITE pinstripes. It probably sounds ugly but it really is cute. CUTE in a not-for-an-interview kinda way. The only befitting ones I've seen so far are at EXPRESS and they seem to be going for nothing less than $250! If anyone has tips on where to find affordable suits that don't look like home-made halloween costumes, your comments are really welcome. Then there's also the question of whether to get a pant suit or a skirt suit. Again John I-know-it-all says that most of the interviewers are conservative old-school doctors and might not like the idea of a woman wearing the pants in medicine...but the rebel in me wants to do exactly that, just because. When I think of the price of the flight and all the stress of travelling though, I might just have to conform to whatever the good doctor wants!

I've also been mentally planning my interviewing strategies. The way I see it, I have two options. I could go in there, like I don't want the position. You know, not try to suck up. Not try to read my interviewer's mind as to the answers he/she wants for his questions. Just answer truthfully and candidly. Like telling him(I'll just stick to "he" cus chances are it will be a "he") my stand on pro-choice or pro-life varies with the situation because let's face it, it's easier to have an opinion about someone else's life but when it happens to you, that's a whole different story. Or telling him that the only reason I volunteered in the hospital was really because I was required to do so, not from the beauty of my heart. And it's not until after I actually did it that I enjoyed it and not the reverse. Ok this might sound extreme but I used a milder variation of this at my Miu Corp Interview and I still got the job...but that was an internship not med school so it might be a bit different. I think I might try this at a few schools I really don't care much about(depending on how many interviews I have, I might end up having to care about them all) and see if it works before trying it at others.

But let's face it, a school like say...Harvard that everyone applies to, say they interview ~900 people for ~120 positions, which is usually the scenario, you will really need something that makes you stand out. In a good way that is, and giving thesame answers as everyone else will probably not help. Ok again I need your contributions here...whether or not you are currently in medical school, whatever job or position it was that you interviewed for and got, what do you think made you stand out and if you didn't get it, what were those words you wished you never mentioned? Apart from your statistics, etc. Hopefully we can all learn something, if you take all your knowledge to the grave what good will it do you and the bacteria 6 ft under?

Option 2 is obvious...nod at everything the interviewer says, try not to get into a heated argument, look as conservative as possible, etc...cookie cutter candidate, boring!

Perhaps an Option 1.5 might be the best shot...we'll see.

I'm really depending on some feedback on this one, so since the AAMC isn't bringing it on, let our own games begin...

<< Back to Latest Post

10 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

I bought my suits from Casual Corner and Marshall Fields. I got a lot of help from the ladies at both places on what looked good and how to get good fits and whatnot. However, it was pricy and I ended up spending $1000 on 4 or 5 suits plus shoes. It was worth it though, because it really helped for my interviews.

As for skirt vs. pants, do what you are comfortable in. I have not heard that wearing pants at an interview is bas, especially if it's a suit.

August 24, 2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

1000 dollars on 4 or 5 suits = 250/200 per suit, abt thesame as express. If need be, I will be willing to invest in one at that price but I will be hoping to find cheaper ones

August 24, 2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

btw long time no see on here

August 24, 2006 3:59 PM  
Blogger Hamza Mirza said...

Your gross anatomy rockz :P

August 24, 2006 4:19 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

thanks :)...what's with the name, u have a strong attachment to bones?

August 24, 2006 6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm have you checked the department stores like Dillards, Sears, Kohls, JC penney or even New York & Co? If those don't work then I'd definitely go with Express. Meanwhile, when I interviewed I had my heart set on Ohios State so I prepared my butt off for that interview. Practiced with my firends etc and didnt get in. When I went to the Wake interview it was one of those "i am so not coming to this little town-but since I already bought my ticket I would show up" moments. So i didn't prepare any answers, was really chilled and laid back in the answers I gave and as they say the rest is history. If I had to guess at what made the biggest impact I would say my lack of nervousness at the Wake interview.

August 24, 2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

seriously, and the only way to get rid of that nervousness is technically not to care, technically.

August 24, 2006 11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol...technically

August 25, 2006 9:13 AM  
Blogger Owumi said...

I think being yourself counts a lot, and so telling the truth definitely is a plus. An interviewer could read the response you descibed to the 'why did u volunteer at the hospital question' as a significant step in the journey of self-discovery.... and that's a positive. You know this is what you want, so all you have to do is let your passion shine through.

August 25, 2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

so do u have any interesting example(s) about when being yourself worked?

August 25, 2006 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post