Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Monday, July 24, 2006

COLD FEET!

ANONYMITY. The POWER to say what you want, when you want, how you want and about who you want BUT simultaneously denying the world the ability to trace it back to you...

Unfortunately I lack this power (thanks to my profile on some webpages of choice) . S0 as the faithful day when I bare my soul to "the 21" draws nigh ("the 21"= the 21 med schools on my list, "Faithful Day" = Wednesday), I'm beginning to wonder. Exactly how much can I say about them on here? Especially these days when HR representatives view facebook profiles before making hiring decisions. How do I know the admission committees (adcomm) don't have some Steve Urkel type guy stashed away somewhere, digging into the depths of the web for dirt on me?...

FOOLHARDINESS. The ABILITY to not only look death (or equivalent) in the eye BUT actively pursue it without knowing one lacks the POWER to conquer it...

Unfortunately, I have been known to display this ability more than once. And once again, its looking appealing. I'm thinking of letting all my thoughts out and ignoring those nosy people that might be poking around! Life is full of risks anyway, right?

SELF-INTELLIGENCE. The STATE OF MIND of understanding the ABILITIES one has and the POWER one lacks...

Fortunately, for a change, I get into this state of mind occasionally. So in order to save my behind, I have restricted my profiles on these websites of choice to my "friends" alone. Of course the definition of "friends" in reality and on facebook, for example, are VERY different. We add people as friends just because they held the door open for us yesterday, or we sat next to them in class the other day, to name a few of the random reasons. So I can only HOPE that none of these "friends" are part of some adcomm somewhere that would print out everything I say on here, hand it right back to me come interview day, and make sure I never smell the four walls of a hospital.(I know they have some students on those adcomms). That is assuming of course they let me get as far as the interview! I'm fresh out of any intelligent ideas to protect myself. So bring it on, life is a highway they say, and right now I'm going 90, right through a school district! (ahem...GOD HELP ME!!)

Interesting link: http://www.salisbury.edu/careerservices/students/Dangers.htm
PS: In view of this, I will be a little more vague in terms of institutions where I worked etc, but I promise, the story will still be good and you'll get the drift.

<< Back to Latest Post

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiii there ..

greetings from the U.K ;)

July 24, 2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

hello..thanks for stopping by

July 24, 2006 9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL @ "..going 90, right through a school district". Drive safe though!

-Toun

July 25, 2006 8:45 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

I think it's absolutely crazy that people use facebook as part of their hiring decisions. But don't you have to be a friend of you on facebook in order to view your profile?

July 25, 2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

I know Steph...its sad but true. View this link:

http://www.salisbury.edu/careerservices/students/Dangers.htm

July 25, 2006 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post