Getting into Medical School, aka Holy of Holies (the F-1 version)

My adventures as an international student trying to get into a US medical school as a prestigious MSI student!

My Photo
Name:
Location: East Coast, United States

I am a 22 yr old Foreign lady trying to get into an American med school. The journey has been "rough" to say the least. So join the band wagon and let's see if they think I'm good enough to become a doctor. I hope my story encourages someone, maybe you. Not necessarily to become a doctor, but just to follow your dream. Leave your comments as you read...I thrive on feedback. And if this is your first time here, catch up on what you missed, cus every post IS important...well almost all. So forget that board meeting(at your own risk) or skip that class (again at your own risk) and lose yourself in my archives. REMEMBER: "If it aint ROUGH, it aint RIGHT" - Richard Hamilton, Detroit Pistons Guard

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

But Really, Is that what matters?

I know this might/will offend someone somewhere but I gotta do what I gotta do, so here goes...

Over the weekend an all too familiar Jerry Springer episode unfolded in the sports world. It was another brawl reminiscent of the impromptu gladiator contest between Ron Artest and the Detroit fans. But this time the NBA was spared...it was NCAA Football. Florida International vs. U of Miami. I don't even know what/who instigated it cus the game was not aired, I just caught the highlights on ESPN and then this morning again in the very benevolent full page the NYTimes devoted to it. It was extremely embarassing for me to sit down at lunch, the only black person for "miles", and listen to my coworkers discuss these events closely followed by the childish outbursts of an irritatingly narcissitic T.O over the last few weeks. I believe my coworkers described these events from a very objective point of view but all I could see in the papers were my black brothers acting a fool on national TV...again, kinda hard to be objective on that one. Let's face it the only time the rest of the world(where WORLD = America) really sees a representation of the black race in a somewhat positive light is on Saturday, Sunday and Monday the undeclared but faithfully observed weekly football "holidays", and come October 31st, almost every day of the rest of the week. All other potrayals of our race is via mug shots of some shoplifter, or the outplayed picture of the "poor african child" on the daily "Feed the children" sermon. So you will think giving such limited opportunites to present our essence, we will take advantage of it and put a very well manicured better foot forward but noooo....

Culprit in question?...THE LARGER-THAN-LIFE MALE EGO. Gentlemen reading this, if someone hits "your boy" or looks at "your girl" the wrong way, you really don't have to go back and recruit all the boys on your block (or your football team) to whack the hallelujah out of the other guy just to show you have all your balls intact. You really don't have to prove anything you know. I mean...think of all the things that might be at stake...your life, your job, your family and then consider the fact that some girls might not even find it sexy or attractive in anyway that you decide to whoop some guy just because he stole a glance at her. I believe Oprah will even suggest such a girl pack her bags and leave cus that's just a very bad sequel to Tina vs Ike in the making. I'm beginning to see a trend which I hope will not develop into a full blown theory over the years to come.

It seems guys have a hard time multitasking. How else will one explain the fact that when a "Son of Adam" happens to spot a beautiful well endowed "Daughter of Eve", nothing else matters? All other thought process shut down. The fact that the piece of cake your new bride shoved in the general direction of your mouth at your wedding hasn't even digested yet doesn't matter. That said "Daughter of Eve" also happens to be this new bride's best friend is also altogether pointless. And oh a condom? Geez why bother, she looks so fine she has to be clean...

In the case of FIU vs U Miami, who cares that I might lose my football scholarship and eventually contribute to the statistic of black male college dropouts? Who cares that my little brother is looking up to me? Oh and that my mum finally got time off all her 3 jobs and recruited her girlfriends for a road trip to watch me play? Who freaking cares? All that matters now is letting that guy over there know that I have the unparalleled ability to take off my helmet and slap him in the face with it for reasons I have no clue on...but hey everyone else is doing it. And that's all that matters...or is it?

I appreciate that there are black men out there and all over the world trying to make a positive difference, unfortunately though, the empty vessels seem to be making the loudest noise at the moment. But again, I appreciate the struggles of every one of you, I get an idea of where it comes from but please let's work on that self control just a bit more. For the sake of those coming behind and those judged by your actions... Much love.

<< Back to Latest Post

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you get an Amen? AMEN Sistah.....Amen

October 17, 2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger Biodun said...

Valid points made, cant add anything else, didnt know anythin about the U of Miami game, will check that out.

October 17, 2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger NaijaBloke said...

Abbey ..this is well said .. what do u expect from a 17yr old that was recruited from high school straight to NBA or NFL and you drop a $20million deal in his lap.This is a kid that has never gone thru any self development on his own.He has never lived on his own and experience what it takes to be responsible in his life.Definately he will misbehave.

U might saying,r there not other race been recruited at this age as well?Yes there r but the difference is most of this other race have what we call family values,they still have the dad in the house as a role model for the guy,but most times in a black family the mum dont even know who the dad is not to talk of having a male role model in his life.I have seen more than enuff guys and chics birth certificate here and the space for the father's name is left blank cos there is no father.


Left to me this messed up country is causing a big part of what is happening and most of the role models this boys look up to r nothing to write abt sef.

October 17, 2006 1:17 PM  
Blogger Biodun said...

You have been tagged, check my blog!

October 18, 2006 10:58 AM  
Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

You've been tagged, check out my blog. U can complete it after ur interview. All the best.

October 18, 2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger ABBEY said...

@naija bloke...i think making it to the NBA or NFL is like winning the lottery. You go from "rags" to riches overnight. In psych we gave this people a name..can't remember now and studied a whole host of problems that comes with the situation. I can't imagine getting a million plus dollars immediately I got out of high school...I would have probably painted the whole world red and forgotten about college...probably.

@biodun..i'm guessing you have found out more about the brawl by now...pretty horrendous

@anonymous...thanks for the support. The whole issue just kinda pissed me off completely for some reason. I don't usually lash out like that unless something gets to me. thanks for stopping by though.

@bijoux...aight i'm tagged.

October 20, 2006 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to Latest Post